Abby’s family added kittens to their family!
Sarah’s family is hoping these are the perfect sleds (and that it snows more this year!).
Reading lately[one_third][/one_third] [one_third_last][/one_third_last]
Abby read the Charm of Magpies fantasy series by KJ Charles and Sarah listened to the YA novel-in-verse Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo (and can also recommend The Poet X by the same author).
Talking to kids about tough stuff
Inspired by a listener question, we discuss how we talk to our kids about tough stuff–politics, current events, race, gender, sex, cancer, and death. Links we mentioned + books our families love that we didn’t list in the show:
- Conscious Kid
- Black Lives Matter book list with links to read-alouds of each book curated by Phoebe Defino
- Own Voices in children’s literature
- Something Happened in Our Town by Marianne Celano, Marietta Collins, Ann Hazzard, and Jennifer Zivoin
- Ruby Bridges Goes to School by Ruby Bridges
- The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson and Rafael Lopez
- The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi
- Clubhouse Mysteries by Sharon Draper
- I Am Rosa Parks by Brad Meltzer and Christopher Eliopoulos
- Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness by Anastasia Higgenbotham
- The Proudest Blue: A Story of Hijab and Family by Ibtihaj Muhammad
- The Book Itch: Freedom, Truth, and Harlem’s Greatest Bookstore by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson and R. Gregory Christie
- We Are Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom and Michaela Goade
- It Feels Good to Be Yourself by Theresa Thorn
- Who Are You? A Kid’s Guide to Gender Identity by Brook Pressen-Whedbee
- Sexuality and bodies:
- What Makes a Baby by Cory Silverberg
- It’s Not the Stork by Robie Harris
- Amazing You: Getting Smart About Your Private Parts by Gail Saltz
- From Diapers to Dating: A Parent’s Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children From Infancy to Middle School by Debra Haffner
- Girls and Sex and Boys and Sex, both by Peggy Ornstein
- Article about parents having sex during the pandemic
- Our Whole Lives: Lifespan Sexuality Education
- Other resources:
- Other books:
- When Charley Met Emma by Amy Webb and Merrilee Liddiard
- The Rough Patch by Brian Lies
- The Rabbit Listened by Cori Doerrfeld
Sarah is becoming a Trader Joe’s convert, especially their hot and sweet pickled jalapenos.
Abby found a spinach dal her whole family loves.
If you’d like to join in the conversation, please leave us a comment, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or find us on Instagram @friendlierpodcast. Thanks for listening!